Monday, October 4, 2010

To catch you up on my life...

NOTE TO READERS: "MISS INES" is not the true name of the teacher who I replaced.

This year I took my first job as a teacher. I am fresh out of college with my bachelor's degree, and super excited to learn everything I missed in college (which I would NEVER say, but it is somewhat true as the only extremely productive semester was my student teaching being that I am an extremely Kinesthetic learner).

On my first day of school I had a student tell me in no uncertain terms that I was boring! I teach grades 1 through 4 (yes, all of the grades together all day long)! He did it rather diplomatically, telling me that another teacher "always tries to do something interesting". After crying my eyes out I laughed my head off, as it was truly hilarious!

My first couple of weeks were rather stressful, as I had to hear from the students how the other teacher used to do this or that. It is exceptionally hard at a school like this because there are only three teachers for grades PreK to 8th, and if they stay as long as my predecessor (about 5 years or more) then the students become both attached and unused to change. This has its benefits, but when change does happen (especially with a brand new teacher like me) it is all but catastrophic!

Those first few weeks my students and I butted heads on everything. I stood my ground, though rather more dishearteningly than I should have. They attempted to correct me in almost every facet of the school day. I was told "Miss Ines did this..." during worship songs. I heard "Miss Ines did this..." during reading time. I was informed "Miss Ines let us play games." during math. I was directed "Miss Ines let us have free time." during PE. And on and on and on!

I was so sick of hearing "Miss Ines" by the first two weeks I wanted to scream!!!

Thankfully that has passed, and other than the occasional desire to goof off (i.e. play board games all day) my students and I are beginning to get along.


I have to say, the only thing that managed to get me through those awful weeks was the fact that I was 700% sure that God has sent me to this place, and this is where He has a mission for me. I prayed often (and still do) that God would hold me steady and make me be the teacher He crafted with His own hands!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Sunflower! Keep ploughing through and telling us all about it :) I have vague ideas of teaching at a private Christian school someday, so I look forward to hearing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete